Friday, February 15, 2013

Review: "Crimson Frost" by Jennifer Estep

Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy, #4)
Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy #4)
Publication Date: December 24, 2012
Publisher: K-Teen
Paperback 354 pgs
Summary:
For a moment, a face flashed before my eyes—the most hideous face I’d ever seen. No matter how hard I tried to forget what had happened, I saw him everywhere I went. It was Loki—the evil god that I’d helped set free against my will.

I should have known that my first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. If we’d gotten into a sword-fight  or been ambushed by Reapers, I’d have been more prepared. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? I didn't see that one coming.

I've been accused of purposely helping the Reapers free Loki from his prison—and the person leading the charge against me is Linus Quinn, Logan’s dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks I’m guilty. If I’m going to get out of this mess alive, I’ll have to do it myself.(Goodreads)
Review:
     This is one of those series that as soon as it is released I have to get my hands on it. I love the mythology in this the Mythos Academy and of course the characters are amazing too! But the mythology adds a whole different aspect to my reading experience. In the fourth installment of the Mythos Academy, Gwen is once again fighting to survive the reapers of Chaos. After Loki escaped, Gwen is tasked with killing him which she has no idea how to do. But to add to her troubles Gwen is arrested and charged with helping Loki escape by the Protectorate (police of the mythological world) which is headed up by Linus Quinn, Logan's dad. I believe this might cause a problem or two.
     While Gwen is fighting to do what is right she is being harassed by those who should be helping her. Though everything seems to be falling down around her Gwen refuses to give up. She's strong and has a great determination to do what is right. Her inner strength keeps her going when everything is stacked against her. I can't help but root for her. Gwen is one of those characters that I want to be happy and succeed at every task placed in front of her. At one point, I was so sad for Gwen but even though she was really hurting, the pain made her more determined to do as Nike asked and kill Loki.
     We are introduced to a few new characters, with abilities we haven't seen before. One of the characters is a Ninja another is a Bogatyr each warrior has different traits that they are known for. I love that with each book we learn more about Gwen's mythological world, from exciting creatures to different types of warriors. I would have given this book 5 stars but I knew who the bad guy was as soon as they were introduced. Though I must say the rest of the story was a surprise.
     Crimson Frost is a great addition to The Mythos Academy series. I can't wait to read Midnight Frost to see what happens next in this extremely entertaining series. And I've heard there is going to be an e-story told from Logan's POV called Spartan Frost. I can't even tell you how excited I am for this story!
Cover:
     This cover is okay though I don't think that it represents the great story told within. I'm not really a fan of the different girl on the cover either. It always frustrates me when the cover model on the cover of a book series changes. However, I do like how the girl has bright violet eyes and is wearing the snowflake necklace Gwen wears.
     




1 comment:

  1. I've heard such great things about this (and all) of Estep's books. I have the first one, and still need to read it. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete