Friday, July 29, 2011

Review: "Hunger", Jackie Morse Kessler

Hunger (The Horsemen of the Apocalypse: The Rider Quartet # 1)
 Jackie Morse Kessler
Publication Date:  October 18, 2010
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Graphia)
Paperback, 177 pgs

                                                
Review:
          When I picked up this book I knew it would be different from the other books that I normally read, because at its core it is about anorexia. It is true that this book falls into the paranormal YA genre but most of the paranormal aspects of the book are secondary to the characters issues with eating. Which I think makes these books more interesting.  
           Some of the things I liked about this book is the concept of the Horsemen and the Apocalypse. Jackie Morse Kessler put a new spin YA genre with this book. The main character, Lisabeth Lewis,  is not only dealing with anorexia but she has just become Famine. Her eating issues are never forgotten but she gets a fresh prospective on eating as she journeys through the world on her black steed, Midnight. I really enjoyed the direction this book takes. The main character has to find her inner strength so that she can be strong enough to not only deal with her anorexia but also with her new role as Famine. 
            Though I liked this book there were some aspects that I thought could use improvement. One issue I had was, I didn't think the characters were fully developed.  I  thought the main character, Lisabeth Lewis as well as the surrounding characters fell a little flat. I would have liked to know more about how the Horsemen are chosen and why they are needed. The book was a little short and therefore everything happens really quickly a little too quickly for my taste. Hunger was good but it could have used a few more details and it could have been longer.


Cover:
      I really enjoyed the cover of Hunger, it was the reason this book caught my eye.  It is dark and enticing making me want to pick it up and read it.  

           

No comments:

Post a Comment