Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Review of "Poison Princess" by Kresley Cole

Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1)
Poison Princess (Arcana Chronicles #1)
Publication Date: October 2, 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Hardcover 369 pgs
Summary:
She could save the world—or destroy it.
Sixteen year old Evangeline “Evie” Greene leads a charmed life, until she begins experiencing horrifying hallucinations. When an apocalyptic event decimates her Louisiana hometown, Evie realizes her hallucinations were actually visions of the future—and they’re still happening. Fighting for her life and desperate for answers, she must turn to her wrong-side-of-the-bayou classmate: Jack Deveaux.
But she can’t do either alone.
With his mile-long rap sheet, wicked grin, and bad attitude, Jack is like no boy Evie has ever known. Even though he once scorned her and everything she represented, he agrees to protect Evie on her quest. She knows she can’t totally depend on Jack. If he ever cast that wicked grin her way, could she possibly resist him?
Who can Evie trust?
As Jack and Evie race to find the source of her visions, they meet others who have gotten the same call. An ancient prophesy is being played out, and Evie is not the only one with special powers. A group of twenty-two teens has been chosen to reenact the ultimate battle between good and evil. But it’s not always clear who is on which side.(Goodreads)

Review:
     I wasn't sure what to expect form this book. From the synopsis it sounded really interesting. I have to say I was not disappointed. This book had a lot going on such as visions, an Apocalypse, magic, a touch of romance and of course lots of danger. Though there was a lot going on I wasn't ever really confused. I thought the story flowed really well. I was hooked from the first chapter and didn't want to put the book down until I was done reading. I liked the contrast of life before and after the apocalyptic event. I t was interesting to see just how much life had changed for Evie. Poison Princess is a great story full of complicated characters and an interesting mix of magic and danger with a few twists thrown in to make the story that much better.
     I really liked Evie. She's sweet, naive, and a little unsettled because of her hallucinations. The things she sees are frightening but when they come true her life changes forever. On top of the visions she's also started to hear voices. There is only one person who can help her and she's not sure this person is still even alive. Though Evie isn't used to having to fight for survival she'd do anything to make sure her and her mother survive including turning to a guy she's not sure she can trust. There is something about Jackson that draws Evie in and at the same time makes her want to run away. The two have a complicated relationship that had me hooked and wanting more.
    Another main character is Jackson Deveaux. He's mysterious, dangerous and did I mention...hot. What I wouldn't give to know what is going on in his head. Jackson can be very hot and cold. One minute he seems to care about Evie and the next he seems to act as though she's a burden.On the plus side he seems to be very dependable with really good survival instincts. Sometimes I really like Jackson and at other times I think he's a bit of a jerk. I'm definitely interested to know more about him.

Cover:
I'm really liking this cover. I love the darkness and destruction in the background. It contrasts well with the the awesomely dressed characters on the cover.
   



2 comments:

  1. Yes! Just yes to this whole review! I loved this book so much and just want to live in it (even though that's probably a bad idea, considering its all post-apocalyptic...) I totally agree about wanting to see what's going on in Jackson's head. I can only imagine the kind of things going on in there! Great review. I'm glad you enjoyed this one as much as I did :)

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad you liked it. I agree with you about the world, it may be a little too scary for me:) And that Jackson, don't know what to do about him.

      Delete