Saturday, December 31, 2011

Final Thoughts on Blogging in 2011

My final thought on blogging in 2011. In June I decided that I wanted to start a blog. It was a total spur of the moment decision. I can't even remember when or why I started visiting book blogs but it was some time around May or June of this year. There was a whole world out there full of book lovers like me that I hadn't realized existed. There is one thing that upsets me about starting a blog so quickly. I just picked a name and didn't give it too much thought. Technically, I could change it but I'm not willing to do so at this point. When I first started out I had no idea what I was doing. There is still a lot I would like to learn but I have come a long way from that night in June when I first started my blog.

Why did I start a blog in the first place? I wanted to create a place where I could talk about books. I had read so many great and not so great books but there was no place I could go to discuss what I had read. Apparently ranting and raving to friends and family who haven't read the books I have just makes them get this glazed over look in their eyes. Or they just stare at me with an impatient look on their face that screams hurry up and finish so I can get on with my life. I'm kidding, mostly. But now I have a place to write reviews, gush over gorgeous covers, babble about lovable or villainous characters, and just rant about what I have read.

I haven't always been able to blog everyday like I wished I could, which I feel guilty about sometimes. When I am away from the computer and relaxing, I'm always thinking in the back of my mind I should be working on the blog. But in order to have piece of mind I have decided that it just isn't possible for me to dedicate all of my free time to blogging. Because if I did I would never get any reading done and then my blog would kinda be pointless and it wouldn't be fun and that's not something I want my blog to turn into. I don't want it to feel like a chore to create posts. Though I must say I'm in total awe of the bloggers that are not only able to post everyday but have several different amazing blogs operating at the same time, you know who you are.

Besides creating a blog I also attended a couple book signings. I'm not sure why it never occurred to me to go to author events before but it just never had. My first event was for Melissa de la Cruz. I am a fan of The Blue Bloods series and I was super excited to be able to meet her and learn about the inspiration behind the series. My second event was the Dark Days tour with Claudia Gray, Kiersten White, Jocelyn Davies, and Amy Garvey. I had such a great time and I was able to get a ton of my books signed. My first review was for Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler. I still feel as though my reviews need a little work but that can be fixed in the new year. I joined my first meme(Swoon Thursdays) in September which I have really come to enjoy being a part of.

I have discovered so many great blogs that I have started stalking regularly. Sometimes I comment sometimes I don't since at times I find it hard to articulate what I want to say and Great Post! just sounds kind of generic. But I am truly grateful for all the bloggers who dedicate so much time to writing such wonderful posts. And because of them I have been introduced to books that I might never have discovered otherwise.

Overall I have had a really fun time with my blog. I have enjoyed becoming part of the blogging community and have come to appreciate all the comments I get from my fellow bloggers. I hope to see everyone in the New Year and happy blogging to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment