Monday, October 22, 2012

Review of "The Evolution of Mara Dyer" by Michelle Hodkin

The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2)
Michelle Hodkin
Publication Date: October 23, 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
ARC 530pgs 
Summary:
     Things aren't looking good for Mara Dyer. After what many believe is a mental breakdown Mara is forced into an outpatient psychiatric program. While there she is forced to hid what she can do, not only from the other patients but also from the doctors that are treating her. To add to her problems someone from her past is out to get her which no one is willing to believe. No one except the seductively hot, Noah Shaw. Together they will try and figure out what is going on, and who is out to get them.  

Review:
     What can you expect from the second installment of the Mara Dyer trilogy? How about more drama, mystery and, definitely more romance. I have to say I still have no idea who the bad guy is or where Mara's power comes from and I have no clue how it's all going to end. Which of course is great! I don't like it when a book is too predicable and a reader is able to tell who the bad guy is and can see all the twists and turns a story takes pages before it happens. I love that this book is full of mystery and I'm reading in state of total anticipation wondering what's going to happen next.
     Mara definitely has to find her inner strength as her life becomes even more complicated than it was before. Most of the issues she is dealing with she has to deal with on her own since her family believes she is slightly unstable. But of course she has Noah by her side which is a huge plus. He's not only comforting and supportive he has the resources to help Mara. Then there's that cocky attitude and cute accent and what more could a girl ask for? I loved the interactions between Mara and Noah. They play well off each other and seem to have what the other needs. Honestly, some of my favorite parts of the book were when the two of them were having a conversation. I may have had a huge smile on my face at times.
     We definitely learn more background information of  the two main characters as well as a few other characters. I was glad to see a character from the first book return. He added some snark to Mara's life but was also a source of friendship for her. Some of the information that was revealed I found to be very surprising and it had me wondering how things were going to connect in the end. This is definitely a must read especially if you liked the first book. At times this book is sad but at the same time I believe that Mara shows that she can't be held down. She has chosen to fight. I can't wait to see how her story concludes in the last book in the this trilogy.

Cover:
     I like the cover but I wish that it was a little brighter so that we could see the characters a bit more. Though the murkiness does fit how dark Mara and Noah's lives seem to be. I also like that I can't tell if the couple's hands are drifting apart or coming together.

No comments:

Post a Comment