Friday, November 11, 2011

Review "I Am Number Four" by Pittacus Lore

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies #1)
Publication Date: August 3, 2010
Publisher: HarperCollins
Hardcover 440 pgs

Summary:
     I Am Number Four is the first book in the Lorien Legacies. The story starts with the capture and subsequent death of Number 3. In this novel we learn about the Garde, aliens from the planet Lorien who have special powers that allowed them to protect and defend their home planet. After a massive invasion by the Mogadorians, nine Garde escaped and came to Earth along with their Cepan protectors. Their goals were to learn about their abilities and grow strong enough to fight back against the Mogadorians and hopefully one day return to Lorien. As Number 4, John starts to develop his powers he has more to deal with then just figuring out his powers he has to hide who he really is from those around him and he has to keep himself hidden from those out to destroy him.


Review:
     I enjoyed reading I Am Number Four. It was a good book with a strong male lead. I usually don't read a lot of books that are from a male's perspective so this was an interesting read. John is a fifteen year old alien from the planet Lorien. Most of what her learns about Lorien is from Henri, his guardian, since he has very few memories about where he came from. As he and his Cepan Henri settle in Paradise, Ohio John starts to develop his powers which allowed readers to get to know what types of powers those on Lorien had. Other characters include Sam, John's first real friend. Sam is completely obsessed with NASA and aliens which makes him kind of a loner. We also meet Sarah who John finds himself drawn to.

     One of my favorite aspects of this book was learning about the different powers that the Garde had such as invisibility, heat resistance, flying, telekinesis. I also liked the alternate history of Earth where many of the most famous humans were part Lorien. I Am Number Four is action packed with a very interesting plot. All in all I found the book to be pretty good and was interested to learn more about the Loriens.

Cover:
     I like this cover. It seems to sum up what the book is about. A boy fighting to survive. I like this version better than the original. The original just didn't peak my interest all that much.

2 comments:

  1. Is this the actual book too or is it just the other stuff? I watched the movie (great!), and am super interested in the book than the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just the review for the 1st book.
      While I really liked the movie the book offers more details and explains the Loriens and where the come from in more depth.

      Delete