Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Review "If I Die" Rachel Vincent

If I Die (Soul Screamers, #5)
If I Die (Soul Screamers #5)
Publication Date: September 27, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Paperback: 342 pgs

Summary:
     Eastlake High is still reeling from the deaths of several teachers, things are starting to calm down in fact they have hired a new math teacher to fill the void left by the death of Mr Wesner. But the very gorgeous Mr Beck has a secret, he is not human in fact he is an Incubus and all the female students are practically drooling over him, including Emma. But Kaylee has bigger things to worry about she learns that she's dying, her borrowed lifeline has almost come to its end. To take her mind of the fact that she is dying Kaylee instead decides to focus her attention on Mr Beck. She soon discovers that he is feeding off her classmates and has left a lot destruction in his wake. Will Kaylee be able to get rid of Mr Beck before it's too late?



Review:
     I have to say this is my favorite book in the Soul Screamers series, so far. This is an intense read for fans of the series. Kaylee is struggling to come to terms with the fact that she only has six days left to live. Instead of fixating on her impending death Kaylee decides to spend her time trying to save the girls at her school from the deadly gorgeous Mr Beck. She can't do anything about dying but she can try and solve one last problem and protect those she loves one last time. I have always liked seeing how Kaylee dealt with all the death around her. But this time around she has to come to terms with her own death. It was really sad to read as Kaylee realized some of the things she would never be able to do. I couldn't help but feel for her as she struggled to deal with her death. I was impressed with how she dealt with knowing her time had run out, again. 

     Kaylee gets help with her last mission from her friends, and Sabine. Everyone works together to try and figure out how to get rid of an Incubus. Just because Sabine is helping doesn't mean she's doing it for free or that she is going to be nice to Kaylee, even though she is dying. Sabine has one thing on her mind and since Kaylee will soon be gone she figures she will soon get what she wants. I still like Sabine. She is rude and extremely blunt but I love reading the scenes she appears in.We also get more Alec who is able to give Kaylee background info on Incubi. Then there is Nash. Things are still a little shaky between him and Kaylee but he wants to spend as much time with her as he can. And yeah we get more of Tod. He too helps as much as he can, in ways that are surprising. I won't say too much because that would take all the fun out of reading what happens in this action packed, heart breaking addition to the Soul Screamers series. 

     As usual there is a lot going on in If I Die. I couldn't get enough and was sad to see this book come to an end. The ending definitely left me wanting more and I really wish I didn't have to wait so long to read Before I Wake. If you haven't started this series yet then I highly suggest that you do. I'm thinking I may have to do a third reading of this awesome series. 

Cover:
     I think this is my least favorite cover out of the entire series. It just really doesn't speak to me and I would have liked to see a more swirly dress or something that made the cover more exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment