Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Review "Obsidian" Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian (Lux, #1)
Obsidian (Lux #1)
Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publication Date: December 6, 2011
Publisher: Entangled Publishing 
Paperback: 266 pgs

Summary:
     Three years after the death of her father Katy is forced to move from sunny Florida to nowhere West Virginia. Luckily for Katy she has her books and her blog "Katy's Krazy Obsession" to keep her from going completely insane. When she meets her super hot neighbor, Daemon, things might be looking up. But unfortunately it would be better if he never opened his mouth. He's condescending, arrogant, controlling, and just plain rude. Kay strikes up a friendship with Dee, Daemon's sister, and someone is not to happy about that relationship. Daemon's attitude is not even an issue when Katy finds out her next door neighbors are Aliens. Yeah as if that isn't bizarre enough, Katy gets marked by Daemon and the only way for her to safe is to stay close to the one guy who drives her crazy. As Katy struggles to keep from slapping Daemon she realizes just how dangerous it is to get close to the Aliens living next door.



Review:
     Can I just say that I loved Katy's fiery spirit. Daemon is very antagonistic towards her but she refuses to let him get away with it. She has to battle him verbally on several occasions. Many of her encounters with Daemon are verbal exchanges that were so humorous I found myself smiling constantly as I read. I gotta say  Jennifer L. Armentrout has this type of dialogue down. Though at times Katy seems unsure of herself she pushes that aside and refuses to be bullied by Daemon. Katy is such an enjoyable, believable character. She has flaws which are the reason she is so interesting and made me like her instantly. At times Katy can be a little rash trying to prove that she doesn't need to be protected, which inevitably leads to trouble. Plus she has a book blog come on how can I not relate to that. Reading about the book blogging world was just an added bonus to an already awesome book.  Katy's language also felt real and drew me into the story so much more.

     Katy's new friend Dee is such a sweet character. She wants a friend and she finds one in Katy. I really like Dee, she lively and full of energy and as a reader I couldn't help but be drawn to her. Though she is totally gorgeous she doesn't act as though she is better then everyone, she's very down to Earth. Okay, now I must get to Daemon. He's tall, completley chiseled, with dark hair and stunning green eyes. Totally swoon-worthy. Who wouldn't want to have him as a next door neighbor? Probably anyone that gets on his bad side. As I stated earlier he's arrogant, condescending, rude and knows his way around an innuendo. But there is also another side of him that peeks out occasionally. He is fiercely protective especially when it comes to Dee and he can be nice when he wants to be but he doesn't choose to be nice very often. Which is great for the reader, I loved his barbed wire conversations with Katy, they added an thrill to the story. 

      I'm so glad I read this book. I have heard such great things about it and finally decided to see what everyone was talking about. Overall this was a fantastic, exciting read. After I finished reading I immediately had to go to Jennifer L. Armentrout's blog to read chapter 26 from Daemon's POV, a bonus from the Heroine Tournament. And yes it was really good. Since the book takes place in West Virginia there really isn't any world building to get into but we do get a lot of background info on the Luxen. I'm already ready to read Shadows (Lux #0.5) and Onyx (Lux #2) but it seems I will have to wait awhile for those. 

Cover:
     I like this cover of Obsidian. It's simple and it makes me want to pick up the book and find out what is going on with this couple. Plus the green goes with Daemon's eyes.



     

     

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I read this book. I have heard such great things about it and finally decided to see what everyone was talking about. Overall this was a fantastic, exciting read. Since the book takes place in West Virginia there really isn't any world building to get into but we do get a lot of background info on the Luxen. I'm already ready to read Shadows (Lux #0.5) and Onyx (Lux #2) but it seems I will have to wait awhile for those.

    ReplyDelete