Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Review: "Dark Frost" by Jennifer Estep

Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3)
Dark Frost (Mythos Academy #3)
Jennifer Estep
Publication Date: May 29, 2012
Publisher: Kensington
Paperback 352 pgs

Summary:
     Gwen is on a mission to find The Helheim Dagger, a dagger, her mother hid before she was murdered by the Reapers of Choas. She has to find it before it falls into the wrong hands. The Reapers are ruthless and willing to do whatever it takes to get thier hands on the dagger. Meanwhile, Gwen isn't quite sure where she stands with the deadly hot Spartan, Logan. While she tries to figure out her complicated love life, she's out to find the dagger as well as the Reaper who killed her mother.  The stakes are upped in the thrilling 3rd installment of the Mythos Academy.
Review:
     Gwen Frost is back to battle for the Panthean against the Reaper of Chaos. Gwen is on a quest not only to find the hidden dagger but also the reaper who killed her mother. One of my favorite aspects of this series is seeing Gwen's powers progress. She's far more powerful than she originally thought, which helps her on her mission against the reapers. I also like how we are able to get a glimpse into the powers of the reapers, especially Loki's champion. In each book I have noticed that a new mythological creature is introduced.  It's an interesting idea. Not only do we get introduced to new characters but new mythological creatures as well.  We get to see all of the enemies Gwen is up against. We adds to the excitement of reading each new book.
     Along with her quest Gwen is trying to figure out where she stands with Logan.  As seen in previous books the two have a connection but Logan is afraid of what Gwen might see about him with her psychometry magic. Logan continues to train Gwen so the two are forced to spend time together which does nothing to help Gwen sort through her complicated relationship with Logan.
     The danger is definitely upped in this installment, which of course I loved. We see a darker book in this series as the reapers are close to their goal of freeing Loki.  I'm a huge fan of the series and I can't wait to see what happens next in Crimson Frost.
Cover:
     I like that the girl has remained the same for the last three covers. I also like the sword that is used for the t in frost. But I think there is too much going on with the cover, it's slightly distracting. I'm not sure whee to look first.



2 comments:

  1. You know, I read a short story for this series over a year ago and wanted to start it, but never did. *sigh* Maybe I'll have better luck this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that one yet. I hope you get a chance to start it this year.

      Delete