Monday, July 9, 2012

Review: Sweep V by Cate Tiernan

Sweep Volume V (Reckoning, Full Circle, Night's Child)
Publication Date: December 8, 2011
Publisher: Speak 
Paperback 697 pgs

Summary:
    This volume contains the last three books in the Sweep series Reckoning, Full Circle, and Night's Child. Reckoning is told from Alisa Soto's POV. Alisa connects with her mother's past which includes the family her mother left behind. She learns more about herself more than she thought she ever would. Full Circle, focuses on Morgan and Hunter and is told alternately from thier POV's. They are once again facing an unknown danger. But together and with the help of others they are willing to face the danger that threatens them. Night's Child is the culmination of the Sweep series. It is told from two POV's as well. We get to see how things conclude for Morgan and her friends.
Review:
     I was a little sad to read this book knowing that it would be the end of Morgan's story. I feel as though I have been reading this series forever but I guess it had to end sometime. I liked that we were able to get more of Alisa's story as well as some of her family history. It was interesting to learn about her family's past. Of course we get more of Morgan in Full Circle, she continues to grow up and learn more about her magick. Once again evil threatens her life and she has to use all she has learned thus far to try and survive. Meanwhile, Hunter is struggling to figure out what direction he wants his life to take. We get to see him use some of the skills he has learned as a seeker to help a coven that's in trouble. I did like how Hunter and Morgan continue to grow and get stronger not only individually but as a couple. In the last book we jump ahead to see how Morgan's life has turned out. We get glimpses of what has happened in between then and now which helps readers to understand how Morgan ended up where she is. 
     Overall, I enjoyed the conclusion of this series. I did have a few issues. In Full Circle and Night's Child the alternating POV's were a little confusing. It took me some time to get back into the characters head. I'm not sure why Alisa got her own book. It was great information but I felt it took away from learning about the main character, Morgan. I felt that the other books that were from another's perspective added needed information on either Morgan or the dark wave that threatened her life. I didn't think that Reckoning did that. With that being said I still enjoyed this book and thought it was a great end to the story. 
Cover:
     I really like this cover it fits in with the others quite nicely but is definitely different from the other four. I love the color as well as the design in the center with all the swirls surrounding it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment