Sunday, August 21, 2011

Review "Sweep" Volume I Cate Tiernan

Sweep Volume I (Book of Shadows, The Coven, Blood Witch)
Publication Date: September 2, 2010
Publisher: Speak
Paperback 592pgs

Review:
       In Sweep Cate Tiernan is building a world that revolves around the main character Morgan and her magick.  I like this series but I did have some issues with it. The things I liked about Sweep Volume I, was the way that the characters were developed. I was able to get a good sense as to who everyone was such as Morgan's best friends Robbie and Bree along with her little sister Mary K. Plus once more characters were introduced I was able to understand how they fit into the story because of how the characters were written.  This series is about magick and I enjoyed how the reader is introduced to magick.  I wasn't expected to know everything going in. Bit by bit as Morgan discovers her magick so do we. I appreciated how Morgan learns to use her powers slowly. She just doesn't discover she is a witch and all of the sudden she knows everything and can do anything.  She must take her new powers step by step in order to grow her abilities. 
    One of the things about this series that I took issue with was how Morgan is surrounded by gorgeous poeple and she just happens to be the plain Jane of the group. The main character does focus on her looks a bit too much for my liking. But I suppose everyone has insecurities and that is hers. In some places I thought the wording was a little dated it kind of took me out of the story since it didn't flow quite right. Overall I thought this book was good and will continue reading the rest of the series.



Cover:
     I really liked the cover of this volume. It is simplistic and engaging it drew my attention right away. It screams read me, and I did so I guess the cover worked. The cover was the reason I picked up this book in the first place.





No comments:

Post a Comment