Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Review "Clockwork Prince" by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2)
Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices #2)
Publication Date: November 6, 2011
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Hardcover 498 pgs
Summary:
     In Clockwork Prince we are back in Victorian London as the hunt continues for the Magister. Tessa and the Shadowhunters are still trying to find out who he is and why he hates the Shadowhunters so much. After the Magister's escape in Clockwork Angel, The Clave is threatening to remove Charlotte as head of the London Institute. If that happens Tessa will have no one to protect her and help figure out who she really is. In order to keep that from happening the group must find out where the Magister is and try and capture him. Meanwhile Tessa's feelings continue to develop for both Will and Jem and trying to figure out what to do about those feelings is becoming harder each day. Will the group be able to stop the Magister before they are ousted from the institute?

Review:
    I think that Clockwork Prince is a great addition to The Infernal Devices. All of the characters that I grew to know and love in Clockwork Angel are present and they continue to grow and develop in this installment. I especially like how each character is working through their on issues as well as on the bigger problem of the Magister. I like the complexities that this adds to the story. Not only is Will trying to help catch the Magister but he is also working through why he left his family. Jem has his addiction that he is dealing with. While Tessa is trying to figure out who she is and how she came to have the powers she does. 

     Tessa continues to try and learn all she can about not only her past but also her families past. She ends up learning some shocking secrets that change the way she sees her family. Even though her life is in a state of constant upheaval she handles it really well. She doesn't try and hide from the truth she actively goes out to find it. I think this is the reason she is so fun to read about. I like that she doesn't sit in a corner and hide, she stands strong willing to do what needs to be done not only for herself but for others. We also get to learn more about Will and why he is the way he is. He is working to overcome his past and the problems that lead him to the institute in the first place. I was really excited to learn why Will is so moody with everyone. What we learn about him made me like his character even more than I already did. Let's just say I am definitely a Will fan. I don't think we learned that much about Jem but he continued to be the great guy that he was in the first book. 

     There are a couple new characters, the Lightwood boys, Gabriel and Gideon. The come to the institute to train Tessa and Sophie. But they have been told to do so by the Clave and no one is sure whether or not they are spies sent to acquire more information that will help oust Charlotte as the head of the Institute. I happened to like the addition of the boys. They add tension and allow the reader to see a little of the training that the Shadowhunters receive. What we find out about them and their past was quite interesting and I am hoping to see more of them in Clockwork Princess.

     Again Cassandra Clare has written a complex story that had me entertained from the very first page. One of the reasons is the vivid and complicated characters that I have become invested in. I want them to be happy or suffer horribly depending on who they are. The story flows so beautifully that I had to read the book in one sitting. And we may or may not learn more about Demon Pox. I can't wait to learn more about these characters in Clockwork Princess

Cover:
     I love that this cover is so dark and mysterious. Though I am not a fan of the model chosen to play Jem, he's just not how I pictured Jem. I do like that we can see only a few of his Marks as he is dressed according to the fashions of Victorian London. Plus we get to see the cane he always carries. 


2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to get down to read this! But there are a couple of more pressing things on my tbr right now... Btw, I've nominated you for an award, you can see here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices are really good. I hope once you get the time to read them you will enjoy them as much as I have.

      Delete