Friday, March 22, 2013

Review: "A Fractured Light" Jocelyn Davies

A Fractured Light (A Beautiful Dark, #2)

A Fractured Light (A Beautiful Dark #2)
Publication Date: September 25, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Hardcover: 352 pgs

Summary:
When she wakes up in unfamiliar surroundings, Skye knows something terrible has happened to her. It's not until she hears Asher, the dark, rebellious angel she fell in love with, that the memories come flooding back. She tries to put the past behind her, but she knows she'll be forever haunted by the ruthless betrayal that almost took her life.


Skye returns home, but with the knowledge of who she really is, nothing can ever be the same. As she tests the limits of her new-found powers, Skye discovers that she's capable of far more than anyone could have imagined. Both the Order and the Rebellion want her for their side as war between the factions looms. She can't forget the terrifying truth she now knows about the Order, but something holds her back from embracing the Rebellion.

A Fractured Light picks up right after A Beautiful Dark's shocking cliffhanger ending and is perfect for fans of Lauren Kate's Fallen and Becca Fitzpatrick's Hush, Hush saga.

Review:
     A Fractured Light picks up almost exactly where A Beautiful Dark left off. While Skye has recovered physically from the attack that almost took her life she still has to face the consequences of that horrible night. The Order has infiltrated her small town and in order to survive Skye must figure out who she is and what she is meant to do.
     Though I liked the first book, A Beautiful Dark, I enjoyed this one much more. The story was less focused on the main character Skye being torn between Asher (The Rebellion) and Devin (The Order). Instead the story centered more on Skye's struggle to come to terms with who she is and what it means not only to her but to those around her. Skye's life was derailed when she learned about her powers. I like that she is trying to get her life back together, having powers doesn't mean she has to give up everything she once loved. Her strength comes through when she refuses to lose herself in the process of finding out what her powers are and how she's supposed to use them. Another aspect of Skye's personality that I liked was her refusal to blindly follow others. Even though she may be close to those in the Rebellion she still wants to find out things on her own.
     I found the first book to be a little stereo typical but I liked that A Fractured Light incorporated original ideas that I found elevated my enjoyment of the story. I love when a book is able to surprise me with the twists and turns it takes, which is the fun part about  of reading, for me. I'm definitely eager to find out how Skye's story concludes in the last book in this trilogy, A Radiant Sky.
Cover:
     This is by far my favorite cover of this trilogy. I'm a huge fan of the colors it's done in all shades of black, gray and white. Which makes it looking haunting and dark. I also really like the way shadows swirl all around Skye. I think this cover is really pretty.



No comments:

Post a Comment