Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Review: "Personal Demons" by Lisa Desrochers

Personal Demons (Personal Demons, #1)
Personal Demons (Personal Demons #1)
Publication Date: September 14, 2010
Publisher: Tor Teen
Paperback: 365 pgs
Summary:
Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She has spent years keeping everyone at a distance---even her closest friends---and it seems as if her senior year is going to be more of the same . . . until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can’t seem to stay away from him.

What she doesn’t know is that Luc is on a mission. He’s been sent from Hell itself to claim Frannie’s soul. It should be easy---all he has to do is get her to sin, and Luc is as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn’t stand a chance. But he has to work fast, because if the infernals are after her, the celestials can’t be far behind. And sure enough, it’s not long before the angel Gabriel shows up, willing to do anything to keep Luc from getting what he came for. It isn’t long before they find themselves fighting for more than just Frannie’s soul.

But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay . . . for all of them.(Goodreads)
Review:
     I had a hard time getting into this book. While I thought the book was interesting it felt a little stiff to me. It had all the requirements of a book I usually really enjoy like a super hot bad boy, an equally hot nice guy, a girl who can't decide between the two, and some supernatural aspects thrown in, but I just though it was okay. It may be that I felt as though I read this book before. The characters were a little stereo-typical and I just really didn't connect to any of them. Another issue I had was the main character's name: Frannie. I don't know why but her name just bugged me the whole time I was reading.
     Though I obviously had some issues with this book, there were some things that I liked. We do get to see the story from both Frannie and Luc's POV's, which I love. I always like seeing what's going on in the other characters heads. Plus, I was interested to see what was going on with Frannie, there was more to her than I originally thought. The first book intrigued me enough that I will keep reading this trilogy to see what happens next. I think the ending was the best part for me. It had me curious as to where the story was going to go next.
Cover:
     I'm not really a fan of this cover. It doesn't really stand out to me. The model's poses are a little odd and for some reason I just don't find it that appealing.





1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. The characters were very stereotypical. It was like I had read the book before, exactly like you said. I didn't really like Frannie all that much although I did like her past with her brother. I liked Luc too, but eh... There wasn't anything about him that really stands out I my mind.

    And I really dislike this cover too! There's another one (for the paperback maybe?) that is blue and has a model on it that looks a lot more like Frannie to me for whatever reason.

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete