Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Review "The Vincent Boys" by Abbi Glines

The Vincent Boys (The Vincent Boys, #1)
The Vincent Boys (The Vincent Boys #1)
Publication Date: October 12, 2011
Kindle Edition 174 pgs

Summary:
     Ashton has spent years trying to be perfect to live up to the expectations of her parents and her boyfriend, Sawyer. But when Ashton starts spending time with her childhood best friend, Beau she finally gets to be herself. The more time she spends with the unbelievably sexy Beau the more she realizes how much she has missed him. Beau loves his cousin Sawyer more than anyone else but when he gets the chance to hangout with Ashton he takes it even though it may mean hurting the one person who has always been there for him.


Review:
     I'm not generally a fan of contemporary novels but once I started reading The Vincent Boys I was glad I gave it a shot. It was interesting, completely consuming, and at times super steamy. The story is told from both Ashton and Beau's POV which I liked. I always love when I get both sides of the story.

     Ashton used to have a bit of a wild streak but when she started dating Sawyer she vowed to try and be good enough for him. She trys to be as close to perfect as possible. She feels she needs to be this way not only for Sawyer but because she is a preachers daughter living in a small town where everyone knows everyone else's business. But when Ashton starts hanging out with Beau she's able to be herself. He doesn't judge the choices that she makes, he just wants her to be happy. The true Ashton has been hidden in order to be what others think she should. I liked how Ashton was able to be more carefree when she was with Beau she didn't have to pretend to be someone she wasn't around him. He makes her feel alive. As Ashton struggles with her feelings of being good enough she also struggles with her growing attraction to Beau. At one point I wished that Ashton wasn't so dependent on those around her. I wanted her to stick up for herself but she never did. Which I thought was a little irritating. 

     Beau is the town bad boy, who just happens to be crazy hot. He doesn't really care how others see him. He would do anything for his cousin Sawyer since Sawyer has always stuck by him, no matter what. But when he starts hanging out with Ashton he knows he's going behind his cousins back but he can't seem to help himself. I really liked Beau he tried really hard to stay away from Ashton but he finally had the one thing he had always wanted. Beau seems like a really great guy, he actually listens to Ashton when she needs to vent. He also does things for her that show he really isn't as bad as people think he is. He doesn't want Ash to be perfect he wants her to be who she wants to be, not who she thinks she should be. Another aspect of Beau that endeared him to me was how protective he was of Ashton. Even when they were young he never let anyone treat her badly. My only issue with him is that he is fictional.
   
     We don't get to know Sawyer that well since he is away for the summer. He seems to be a good guy even though at one point I did want to smack him but I think he made up for what he did in the end. We will get more of him in the sequel which I am looking forward to. 

     Overall, I really enjoyed The Vincent Boys. We see how one summer can change so many lives. As well as how the choices we make effect those around us. The Vincent Boys is an easy, fun read. I was drawn into the story which had well developed characters and I wanted them to be happy. I would recommend this book to older YA readers since there are a few mature scenes.


Cover:
     I love this cover not only because of the bold bright colors that make the cover stand out but because of the simplicity of it. After seeing the cover for the first time I definitely wanted to know more about this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment