Friday, October 28, 2011

Review "A Beautiful Dark" by Jocelyn Davies

A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark #1) 
Publication Date: September 27, 2011
Publisher: Harper Teen
ARC 391 pgs


Summary;    
      A Beautiful Dark is the first book from Jocelyn Davies. On the day of Skye's 17th birthday her world turns upside down as two mysteries strangers enter her life. The two guys couldn't be more different. Asher is flirtatious and charming with dark hair and eyes, while Devin is quiet and shy with blonde hair and peaceful blue eyes. The two guys seem to be wherever Skye is, which she finds slightly odd. As she gets to know both boys she realizes that they hold the key to her past and to her parents pasts'. Along the way Skye learns all about the Order as well as the Rebellion. Two groups that have their own plans as far as Skye is concerned. She soon finds out that there is more to Asher and Devin then meets the eye and she is somehow tied to thier world.


Review:
     When I first started reading A Beautiful Dark it reminded me of other angel books that I had read, which was kind of disappointing. Two mysterious guys, one girl a premise we have all read before.  But as I continued to read, the book took on a life of its own. I think what threw me off was that the descriptions of the two guys were just slightly generic. The characters though not completly original did eventually stand out against the others that I had read about. The thing that makes this novel different from other angel books is the concept of the Order and the Rebellion. Which writing about would give too much away so I won't.I liked the fact the Jocelyn Dacvies introduced this concept into the novel giving readers a fresh take on angels. Another bonus of this book is that it takes place in Colorado, yep that's where I am from. Which made some of the scenery feel familair.

     Though I had trouble with the beginning of this book because of its similarities with other novels, I think A Beautiful Dark finds its own place in the angel genre. Another plus is that I was able to meet Jocelyn Davies when she came to Colorado as part of the Dark Days Tour. I had a really great time especially because all of the authors were so amazing and happy to talk about their books. Their excitement was contagious and had me excited for them.  I'm excited to read the next book in this series especially with the ending, complete cliff-hanger.

Cover:
     I really liked this cover I think it represents the book really well. The girl who I believe is Skye stands out from the clouds behind her almost as though she is trying to fly. Very Nice! The font is also really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment