Saturday, February 11, 2012

Why (10)


This week the question I have been thinking about is Why do updated book covers bother me? This question is kind of a continuation of last weeks post: why do some series have inconsistent covers? 

     It has happened to me a few times. I get the first couple books in a series and the next book that comes out has a completely new look. Which doesn't match at all with the ones I already have. A lot of the time I like the new covers better, but really don't want to buy them since it's just a cover. But for some reason it still bothers me and makes me want to replace my old covers. Which may be the point of the new covers. Sometimes they look so interesting and enticing that readers(me) want to get these new lovelies and put them on their shelves. Other times the new covers are not as appealing and it makes me wonder why the change? 

     I like when covers are consistent and follow the same type of theme. So when you pick up the next book you know it's a part of a series that way there is no confusion on the part of the reader(me). And they don't end up making my book shelves look odd. Of course I'll still get the book even if it has a mismatched cover but I'm not happy about it. This issue keeps me up at night thinking about my poor book shelves and their oddly mismatched covers. I'm totally kidding. I don't really stay up thinking about this but since the question popped into my head I wanted to do a small rant about it. 

I'm not sure if this is an issue for those with e-readers, I'm referring to physical books. Does any one else toss and turn thinking about covers or is it just me? Because if it is just me I can accept my own craziness  and move on but if not leave a comment and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment