Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Review of "Blood Moon" by Alyxandra Harvey

Blood Moon (Drake Chronicles, #5)
Blood Moon ( Drake Chronicles #5)
Publication Date: June 19, 2012
Publisher: Walker Books
Paperback: 320 pgs
Summary:
     It's almost time for the Blood Moon ceremonies to begin. But the Drakes are having some issues. Solange hasn't been the same since her change. She's become distant and at times nearly feral. Lucy is training at her new school, a Helios Ra Academy. She's transitioning from free spirited to military style which is a huge change. Her relationship with Solange has become strained as the two hardly see each other.  Danger is approaching for the Drakes, will they be able to figure out who is after them before it's too late?
Review:
     Blood Moon is told from three POV's: Solange, Lucy, and Nicholas. I was a little skeptical at first about reading from three POV's but once I started reading I didn't mind the POV shifts. I felt the voices were distinct and I was able to tell the three apart. I also thought that Blood Moon was darker than the first few books in the series. Which allows readers to see that there is more danger surrounding the Drakes than ever before.
     Solange is struggling to deal with the dark feelings that have been overwhelming her lately. I'm not going to lie, Solange is not one of my favorite characters. And in recent books she's become a little annoying. She just seems selfish. Instead of turning to her family for help she instead decides to trust a mysterious stranger. Which of course is never smart.
     Lucy and Nicholas on the other hand are two of my favorites. Lucy has decided that in order to survive in the world she has chosen she needs to be better prepared. I really like how Lucy choose to go to the Helios Ra Academy. It's not a path I would've foreseen for her but I like how I was completely surprised by her choice. Lucy is feisty as ever and refuses to change just because she's now at the academy. Nicholas is busy trying to keep his family safe from the many assassins that have been threatening them. Even though Solange is being difficult, Nicholas proves he will always be on her side. He'll protect her no matter what. 
     I was a little shocked at the ending of Blood Moon, I did not see it coming. Which of course has me super eager to get my hands on the final book in the Drake Chronicles, Blood Prophecy. This series as I mentioned above has gotten darker and I can't wait to see what happens next. 
Cover:
     I'm a fan of this cover. I really like the blue chosen for the title as well as the design around the edges. I also like the pose the couple is in, very steamy. Though I was not too happy with the first few covers in this series. I'm happy with the re-designs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment